Home is where your heart lies. It’s a place where you feel most comfortable being yourself and living the life you want to live. As you age, it may be more challenging to stay in your home. However, the “aging in place” movement has been gaining traction over the past few years. The idea is that you will make changes to your home that will allow you to stay there until your last day. How do you know if aging in place is right for you?
Aging in place may be right for you if:
- You have a strong connection to your current residence and neighborhood
- Your house has universal design features to increase safety and accessibility
- Your home is convenient to hospitals and medical providers
- You have a strong support system, including family or friends that live nearby
- You have the resources to hire home health aids if needed
- You don’t have any medical conditions that require daily assistance or support
Aging in a senior living community may be better for you if:
- Your house is too large or home maintenance is too much of a burden
- You want to enjoy more free time and the amenities offered in a senior living community
- You want access to convenient transportation for group outings, errands, appointments, etc.
- You want to live in a social community with opportunities to make new friends
- You would benefit from always having someone nearby to help
- You want to live in a safe and secure environment, and don’t want to be home alone